Looking back at my educational experience, I don't recall using much technology in the classroom. In the primary grades, I remember enjoying and listening to audio books on a cassette tape player with headphones. I remember listening and reading along to Frog and Toad are Friends. It use to be my favorite story, and I believe that I have the audio book to thank for that. My experience listening to a prerecorded person reading the story made it so much more enjoyable than listening to the familiar voice of the classroom teacher. At the upper-grade and secondary levels, I do not recall being able or required to type out papers or even having a computer lab. It was through AOL and chat rooms during middle school where I learned how to type using two fingers. Somehow those skills transformed into my current typing ability that has brought me quite far.
During high school was when I started to type essays and use Microsoft Word. From then on, I basically learned as I was required to use various technologies to complete assignments. Many times, I would Google questions such as, "How do I change the margins on Word?" in order to learn how to utilize different tools.
Currently, as an educator, I am impressed with all the technology available in the classrooms. Many of the students in Irvine are fortunate enough to have Document cameras, Projectors, and computers in every classroom. This also allows the teacher to supplement their lessons with streaming videos from educational websites such as United Streaming and show actual pictures of different places in our world through Google Earth.
I am excited for the future to see how else technology enhances our educational system!
No comments:
Post a Comment